Who We Are
First Baptist Church began with four families meeting in a home with the purpose of growing in worship and love. The wanted to see each other and themselves grow in love for God, love for each other, and love for their community. The church has grown, built, and re-built again; but the original of idea of families coming together to grow is still the same. We are a family here at First Baptist, and we think your family would make a great fit.
The story of First Baptist Church Corpus is a long and rich history. FBC began in 1878 in a home with four couples as charter members. As the church began to grow, these original members started meeting in a remodeled blacksmith shop. The church continued to grow and erected a new building in 1910, moving to the present location in 1949. Dr. Vernon Elmore, pastor for 24 years, has written Voyage of Faith, a complete history of the church.
FBC is a Baptist church that is associated with Corpus Christi Baptist Association, the Baptist General Convention of Texas, the Southern Baptist Convention, and the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship. FBC is a friendly church whose members enjoy getting together for ministry, fun and fellowship. Members bring rich and diverse opinions on theological issues and views on denominational organizations. There is a tolerance and openness within the church that allows for honest and candid discussion of issues without fear of disrupting the strong fellowship of the church body.
General Description of Buildings
The Sanctuary was built in 1949, renovated in 1971, and seats approximately 900 people. A new organ was installed in 1981. The lower level houses the kitchen and Elmore Hall. The second floor has the balconies, baptismal and several rooms used by various mission groups.
The Education Building was built in 1958. The first floor includes the Hereford Parlor, the chapel, and adult Sunday School departments. The second floor, renovated in 2006, includes adult Sunday School departments, library and the church offices.
The Children's Building was built in 1992. The lower level houses the day school, the first floor includes the preschool area, and the second floor includes the grade school area.
The Recreation Building was completed in 1971 and renovated in 1982. "The Way Inn" restaurant is open for lunch during the week. The Rec Center also houses a volunteer station, meeting rooms, a gym complete with weight room, hot tub and showers, and a ceramics room. Boy Scout Troop 11 maintains the self-contained Scout Hut which is adjacent to the recreation building.
Koinonia Homes, an apartment complex with 31 units for senior adults, is also on the church property.